Monday, April 23, 2007

The Sustainability Fair

On April 20th my school held a sustainability fair. This fair was a gathering of environmentally aware people, ranging from fifth graders to adults, who all had great ideas and information about our environment. These people created booths, presentations and even some games to help make learning fun and interesting. The purpose of this fair was to inform all those who aren't as aware about the current condition of our environment and how we can help to sustain it. While at the fair I explored every station. Some stations focused on helping to sustain our school, some focused on sustaining our entire community and others focused on sustaining the whole world. Although I saw and heard many diverse idea's, each booth's goal was the same; to do our best to make our planet a better place.
One of the things I learned at the fair was that a certain species of worms, called the Indain Blue Worm, are able to eat nearly any organic material. These worms are able to essential eat our garbage so we can have a cleaner place to live. Currently boxes of these worms are being sold to be used as something similar to a compost box. In fact, my family already owns one of these and it works great. Hopefully in the future, every family will own of these and our trash will just be converted to soil.
Another booth I was interested in was a presentation about fuel cells. Fuel cells are an electochemical conversion device. It is essentially a source of energy, but it is a very important source because fuel cells do not cause pollution. Fuel cells will hopefully eliminate the need of gasoline for cars.
I also went to a booth that focused just on the environment of our island. I learned that we are recycling sewer water and we are using it for irrigation. I also learned about xeriscpaing which is a practice where irrigation techniques and using drought-tolerant plants and grasses help to save water. Fortunately the plants that are used for xeriscpaping are primarily native plants so the act of xeriscaping saves water and helps to keep our native plants alive.
Although I learned so many interesting and great ways to sustain our world, I think the most valuable thing I gained from the fair was an inspiration. I learned of the troubles we are having with our environment. The things that inspired me the most were facts on how much we can help the environment by doing something so easy. I learned facts such as, 84% of all household waste can be recycled,everyday you throw away 4 pounds of garbage (don't you think some of this could be recycled?), and the amount of wood and paper we throw away every year is enough energy to heat 50 million homes for 20 years.
At the sustainibility fair, I learned so much about the environment and how I can help. I was very inspired to help out, and after reading this I hope you are too.

No comments: