Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Family Story

Today our class was assigned to write about a family story that teaches a valuable lesson. The story I chose happenned back when I was about eight years old.

It all started one night when I popped an Aladdin video into the VCR. Right about half way through the movie, where Aladdin rubs the magic lamp, my mom steps into the room and tells me to go to bed. She warns that I can't stay up too late, otherwise I won't be able to stay awake the next day. It was all old news, I've heard it nearly every night of my life, so I replied with the don't-care-but-dont-want-to-get-in-trouble phrase, "okay, sure mom, I'll go to bed," and turned off the t.v. But of course I had to see Genie's song when he comes out of the lamp, so as soon as my Mom left the room, I turned the movie back on. But that one song soon turned into the rest of the movie and before I knew it, it was two hours past my bedtime. The next day I barely made it through the day of school due to my lack of sleep. And when I came home from a hard-hitting day of second grade I could hardly keep my eyes open. So, when I went to the towel closet before my bath, I was so tired and the towels looked so cozy, I decided to lay down on the bottom towel shelf. It was not brightest idea but those towels just looked so soft and I was so tired so I couldn't resist. Once I layed down my eyes immediately locked shut and I fell into a deep sleep. A few hours later, my slumber was interrupted by the sound of a women screaming at a deafening volume. I quickly sat up, and groaned in pain when my head collided with the towel shelf above. After recovering from the pain, I anxiously crawled out of the closet to see what was going on. I followed the sound of the screaming until I saw my mother with tears sliding down her cheek. I immediately run over to her and ask what was wrong. She suddenly grabbed me and hugged me with the strength of a boa constrictor. She manages to ask through her crying "Ryan, where were you? I thought you ran away or was kidnapped!!!" I regretgully replied, "I was sleeping on the bottom shelf of the towel closet." By the look of my Mom's reaction I quickly realized this was probably the worst thing I could have said. She furiously told me that she was about to call the police and that it was the scardest she had ever been in her whole life. Feeling terrible, I apoligized and explained what happened.

Although, my parents didn't punish me, I felt horrible. I frightened my whole family, made my mom cry and even hit my head. It was probably the most regrettable thing I have ever done and it all could have been avoided if I listened to my Mom. If I went to bed when she asked I wouldn't have been so tired. So, I guess the moral of this story is to always listen to your parents because despite what you think, they really do know best. It is either that or never fall asleep in your towel closet, no matter how tired you are or how soft your towels look.

No comments: